Our group uses experiments, analytical theory, and computer simulations to explore the processing-structure-property relationships in structural metals and materials, with particular emphasis on the role of structural disorder and its effect on mechanical properties. Our research covers many length scales, from long-range disorder in grain boundary networks, to the nanoscale disorder in amorphous and nanocrystalline alloys.
A challenge to the sintering of nanocrystalline metals
TMS 2023: Schuh Group’s Talks
Schuh group will give talks at TMS 2023. Save the dates below! (sorted by date)
- Submicron intermetallic particle heterogeneity controls shear localization in high-strength nanostructured Al alloys, Tianjiao Lei; Esther C. Hessong; Jungho Shin; Daniel S. Gianola; Timothy J. Rupert: 3/20/2023, 9:00-9:20 AM, Hilton Bayfront Hotel – Aqua Level, Room 300AB (Past work from Rupert Group at UC Irvine)
- A Lattice Monte Carlo Approach to Spectral Grain Boundary Segregation, Thomas Matson; Christopher A. Schuh: 3/20/2023, 3:10-3:30 PM, San Diego Convention Center – 26A
- Diffusion pathway of dopant elements in grain boundary engineered Al alloys, Tianjiao Lei; Jungho Shin; Daniel S. Gianola; Timothy J. Rupert, 03/21/2023, 10:30 am – 10:50 am, San Diego Convention Center – 25C (Past work from Rupert Group at UC Irvine)
- Studies on defect- and chemical diffusion driven rapid consolidation of new Ni alloys, Yannick Naunheim, Christopher A. Schuh: 3/21/2023, 10:40 AM – 11:00 AM, San Diego Convention Center – 29C
- Microparticle impact testing at elevated temperatures, Ian Dowding; Christopher A. Schuh: 3/21/2023, 5:20 PM – 5:40 PM, San Diego Convention Center – 29C
- Grain Boundary Segregation in Polycrystals: Isotherms, Computation, and Data Science, Malik Wagih; Christopher A. Schuh: 3:20 PM – 3:40 PM, 3/22/2023, Hilton Bayfront Hotel – Sapphire Level, Room 411A
- Rapid machine learning estimation of grain boundary segregation vibrational entropy spectra in dilute polycrystals, Nutth Tuchinda; Christopher A. Schuh: 3/22/2023, 4:20 – 4:40 PM, San Diego Convention Center – 26A
- Advanced impactors for laser-induced particle impact testing, Alain Reiser; Christopher A. Schuh: 3/23/2023, 3:00 PM – 3:20 PM, Hilton Bayfront Hotel – Aqua Level, Room 310B
Spectrum of Grain Boundary Segregation Entropy
Grain boundaries contain a broad range of segregation sites. We have estimated distributions of grain boundary segregation entropy, and found a correlation between site-wise segregation energy and entropy. The spectra along with a spectral thermodynamic model shall provide an insight into extracting segregation entropy from experiments.
Microparticle Impact Testing at High Precision, Higher Temperatures, and with Lithographically Patterned Projectiles
Our new publication introduces a new launch pad architecture for laser induced particle impact testing (LIPIT) that brings some exciting new capabilities to the method. Read more about it in Small Methods.
MRS Fall 2022 Talks from Schuh Group
Check out our talks at MRS Fall 2022! (sorted by date)
- Malik Wagih: 9:45 AM, Tuesday Morning, November 29, 2022, Sheraton 3rd floor Berkeley, SF04.01.04 Towards Quantum-Accurate Modeling of Polycrystalline Grain Boundary Environments
- Yannick Naunheim: 3:45 PM, Tuesday Afternoon, November 29, 2022, Sheraton 3rd floor Fairfax A/B, SF06.04.06 Accelerated Densification in Nanocrystalline Ni Challenges Organic Burn-Off
- Nutth Tuchinda: 9:00 AM, Thursday Morning, December 1, Sheraton 3rd floor Berkeley, SF04.10.02 Spectrum of Grain Boundary Segregation Vibrational Entropy in Dilute Ni(Pd) Polycrystals
- Thomas Matson: 9:30 AM, Thursday Morning, December 1, Sheraton 3rd floor Berkeley, SF04.10.04 An Accelerated Approach to Learn the Solute-Solute Interaction Spectra in Grain Boundaries
- Jacob Mack: 9:30 AM Thursday Morning, December 1, 2022 Hynes, Level 3, Room 302, EN07.08.04 Reversible H2 Storage via High-Temperature Redox Cycling of Fe-Mo Lamellar Foams with High Structural Stability
- *Christopher A. Schuh*: 3:00 PM, Friday Afternoon, December 2, 2022, Hynes Level 3 Room 310, SF02.19.01 Towards Quantitative Understanding of Melting and Erosion Caused by Hypervelocity Impacts
- Alain Reiser: 4:00 PM, Friday Afternoon, December 2, 2022, Hynes, Level 3, Room 310, SF02.19.04 A New High-Resolution Launch Pad for Laser-Induced Particle Impact Testing
Upcoming talk at MSE Congress 2022 – Atomistic Assessment of the Solute-Solute Interaction Spectrum in a Polycrystal
Come see PhD candidate Thomas Matson present his talk, “Atomistic Assessment of the Solute-Solute Interaction Spectrum in a Polycrystal,” at MSE Congress 2022 in Darmstadt, Germany – September 27-29, 2022.
Upcoming talk at GSCCM 2022 – In-Situ Analysis and Modeling of High Velocity Microparticle Impacts On Tin
Come see PhD Candidate Tyler Lucas present his talk, “In-Situ Analysis and Modeling of High Velocity Microparticle Impacts On Tin,” at GSCCM (Group for Shock Compression of Condensed Matter) in Anaheim, California – July 10-15, 2022.
Learning Grain-Boundary Segregation: From First Principles to Polycrystals
Our new publication on shows how to overcome the limited availability of interatomic potentials by combining machine learning with first-principles calculations to study grain boundary solute segregation.
Researchers unveil a secret of stronger metals
Study shows what happens when crystalline grains in metals reform at nanometer scales, improving metal properties. Read the full article by David L. Chandler here.